Hello friends, Today I will share two methods on how to enable Password expiration date in Windows 10. You can set the exact date and time to expire your current password. Users can even set up password never expire using these methods.
The security of different computer systems and devices is an important aspect of technology. There are different software and operating systems that are being used in the whole world. These software and operating system claim to have security features that make their devices secure. These security features help the user to stay secure in these days of technology. One of the features that is always included in this software and operating system is the mechanism of the password expiration date. This feature is provided by Windows in their operating system for the users.
Why Update your Passwords?
Security and privacy are important aspects of devices in the 21st century. New technology is coming into the market almost every month. Consequently increasing the number of nascent technology in the market. There is also the concern of security behind the infrastructure of the technology which has to be taken with concern. Because of the security is not taken care of properly then attackers can hurt the users and companies associated with that technology.
Updating passwords is a really easy, convenient way to ensure that you have control over your systems. It prevents the efficiency of cyberattacks, such as social engineering attacks. It is a necessary habit that one can have to ensure their security.
What is the Password Expiration Date in Windows 10
With over 60% of the world’s computers are using Windows 10 as their operating system, it is undoubtedly the most prominent face of the operating system in the world. Now, Windows comes with certain security protocols of its own. One of them is a password expiration date in Windows 10.
Read more: How to Remove Password From Word Document
The feature that is provided by this feature of the password expiration date in Windows 10 is very simple. It gives you the ability to set a certain time limit on your password. After which you can change your password. You should always update your password to decrease the chances of being exploited. Windows 10, being the latest operating system, also has some fundamental security flaws which leave it to be vulnerable to attacks from hackers. So having an extra layer of protection helps you to increase your security.
How to Enable Password Expiration Date in Windows 10 – Top 2 Methods
Password expiration date in Windows 10 is a step taken to ensure security from the user side. Enabling this feature gives you the ability to personalize how you want to take care of the password management of your system.
The method to enable the password expiration date in Windows 10 involves two sub-processes. The first process is to disable the option for “never let password expire” and then the second process is followed to enable the password expiration date in Windows 10 and also set the password age”.
- Disable the “Never let password expire” feature.
- Enable the password expiration date in Windows 10 and set the password age.
Read more: How to Recover Snapchat Account
Method 1 – Disable the setting of “Never let password expire”
This process is a crucial step for enabling the password expiration date in Windows 10. Following this process removes the option of security management that does not allow the user to change their passwords. If you cannot disable this process then you cannot enable the password expiration date feature in Windows 10.
Follow the steps listed below for process 1:
- Open the “Run Window” by pressing “Windows + R“.
- Write “netplwiz” in the Run window that pops up and Press “Enter”.
- A pop-up window with the title “User Accounts” will pop-up. Click on the “Advanced” setting.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab on the bottom right corner of the “Advanced” settings tab.
- A tab with the heading “ lusrmgr” will open up. Click on the “Users” folder tab on the left menu.
It will show the list of users that can access the system.
- Select your user in the right menu that opens up, Right-click on it and then select the “Properties” option from the pop – up list.
- In the “Properties” window that opens up, un-check the option for “Password never expires” and click on the “Ok” button at the bottom of the window.
This prerequisite is required to change the setting for enabling the feature of the password expiration date in Windows 10. This is a necessary process and should be followed in order to do the following process.
Method 2 – Enable Password Expiration Date in Windows 10 and Set Password Age
You can use the “Local Group Policy Editor” to set the age for your password. Through this process, you can set the maximum age of your Windows password. By default, the age of the password is set to be 42 days. You can, therefore, increase or decrease the password age from the option given.
Follow the process given below to enable password expiration date in Windows 10:
- Open the “Run” dialog box by pressing the “Windows + R” button on the keyboard.
- Write “gpedit.msc” in the window and press “Enter”.
This opens the “Local Group Policy Editor” window. The window has a left and a right menu.
- In the left menu, click on the folder option of “Computer Configuration“.
- Click on “Windows Settings” and then navigate to “Security Settings“.
- Click on “Account Policies” from the drop-down list. And then click on “Password Policy“.
After clicking on “Password Policy“, a window will open on the right-hand side of the left menu.
- Click twice on the option of “Maximum Password Age“.
- A pop – up window will open, consisting of an option to increase the maximum password age. Input the password age that you want to enter. And you would have set the password expiration date in Windows 10 for your local system.
After following these two steps, you would have successfully enabled the password expiration function and have changed the password age according to your concern.
The Windows system will help you to remind you to update your password once this option is enabled. You will automatically be reminded to update your password.
Must Read: How to Reset Windows 10 Password without reset disk
Passwords are the key point to your security in the online world. It helps you to secure your account and keep your data private. This tutorials helps you to set up the password age for your Windows 10 and allows you to enable password expiration date in Windows 10.
Leave a Reply